Workout and diet is a perfect match. You cannot lose weight easily with just diet or workout alone. These two needs to be combined in order to achieve that leaner and sexier body we wanted for. If only we could eat everything we want without worrying about weight gain, but sadly, all of that is just fantasy. Without proper nutrition, your workout is just nothing. That’s why it is important to pay extra attention to your diet. Continue reading down below as we break down how diet works and learn some easy diet tricks.
Calories: How Do They Work?
- Before we begin, let’s see how calories work on our bodies. When we hear the word “calories”, people tend to overreact and will do anything just to get it out of their bodies. But in reality, it’s not like that.
Working Out How Much Calories Our Body Needs
- Total Daily Energy Expenditure or TDEE for short is the total number of calories your body burns to function and do some daily activities. Not only physical activities but also things like sleeping and eating are included too.
The Difference Between TDEE and BMR
- There’s a fine line between TDEE and BMR that’s why people tend to mix both of these together. Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the amount of calories your body needs to stay alive. It doesn’t include activities that are present in TDEE. So if you want to count your calories, then focus on TDEE. Various TDEE calculators are available online. Although some of them may not show accurate results, it’s a good starting point if you want to lose weight.
- Assuming that you now know how much TDEE you have, it’s time to focus on these three key points for weight loss:
- Losing weight
- Gaining weight
- Or maintaining your current weight
- For losing weight, you need to consume fewer calories than your TDEE. For gaining weight, you need to eat more calories more than your body needs. Lastly, for maintaining weight, all you need to do is to eat the same amount of calories that your body uses to function.
- Keep in mind that it also comes with some disadvantages too. Take fewer calories for instance, the fewer you consume, your muscle buildup will slow down as well. The same thing goes for consuming too much calories. The more you eat, the more fat you get instead of muscle.
- At the end of the day, you should definitely prioritize your health. That means you must get proper nutrition and pick the right foods to eat to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Three Diet Tips for a Healthier You
- The trinity of macronutrients – The three macronutrients consists of fat, protein, and carbs. And each one of them is important to your diet.
- Protein – Protein helps on muscle buildup. This is crucial for those who train hard to gain muscle.
- Carbohydrates – Carbs are converted into glucose and they are the one responsible for giving your body the energy it needs. Two different types of carbs are: Complex carbs and Simple carbs. The former is found in beans, starchy veggies, and whole grain foods which helps in keeping you fuller for longer. The latter, on the other hand, are found in chocolates, cereal, pasta, white bread, and candy.
- Fat – Fat is your best friend
because it helps on absorbing nutrients from the foods you eat, provides
energy, and it also acts as a protective shield for your organs. There are two
types of fat: The healthy and unhealthy one. Healthy fats can be found in
avocado, olive oil, seeds, and nuts. Bad fats, on the other hand, are found in
saturated and trans fat such as junk foods.
- Consume more whole foods – Avoid eating
too much processed foods and start consuming more whole foods instead like
fruits and veggies. Both are rich in vitamins and nutrients your body needs.
Not only that, but they can also make your plate colorful as well.
- Drink more water – Don’t underestimate the power of water. Water keeps us hydrated as we tend to lose water by doing everyday activities. The recommended daily water consumption is eight times a day, and this is already enough to keep you hydrated. To check if you’re regularly drinking water, look at the color of your urine. If it’s clear, then congratulations! If it’s yellowish, or completely yellow, then grab that bottle of water and drink up! You should avoid drinking too much sugar too which is found mostly in soft drinks or powdered juices. If you think that water is too plain and boring, add some fruit to create a different taste into it.